Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Driving through life...


I can’t get a song out of my head.  I can still hear and see the youthful Purdue Glee Club singing “Life is a highway I want to drive it all night long.”  They performed it with precision and it was delightful.

It reminds me of my own love of driving (through life.)  I have always had a led foot which is why I am grateful for the invention of cruise control, when I remember to use it.  Also, I’d rather be in the driver’s seat because when I’m not  I still use the imaginary gas and break petals.  It’s a reaction I can’t break. 

My daily life no longer involve getting children up in the morning for school (after hearing their snooze alarm going off every 10 minutes for an hour.)  I don’t have to race from one activity to another, constantly out of breath or late once again.  I don’t have to maintain a To Do list like I did when I had to prove my value by tasks performed.

Nowadays the morning drive to work is through the country. The days are filled with opportunity to love on customers, young and old.  At night I can sit on my back patio petting our Bogey cat while listening to the birds sing.  I can capture a moment here or there with my grandson Dylan while he shares a thought or two about life through his 2 1/2 year old eyes.  And I can enjoy watching my asparagus grow!   

The song “Running on Empty” by Jackson Browne used to also explain my routine while raising children and working full time.  Now I sing that song with glee because that life was mine in the past and now its in my rear view mirror.       

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to have so many things now in the rear-view mirror....but it's also nice having something to look forward to through the windshield!

    Blog on sister!

    ReplyDelete